While the glaciers covered much of North America’s midsection and smoothed the land into submission, a tiny sliver of the Middle West managed to escape glaciation. The Driftless Region contains a fascinating rise and fall of the land, in stark contrast with people’s view of a flat and lifeless Midwest. Tucked into a corner of the Driftless Region was a small experiment in communal living, sustainable agriculture, and yoga. Cress Spring Farm was home for an ever-changing array of characters, and even twenty-plus years later many of the meals, practices, and stories remain memorable. Uttered casually in the kitchen one morning, I still clearly remember Roger stating broadly, “if you can’t take your practice on the road, it ain’t worth shit.” Since many of us spent a good deal of time traveling, this comment piqued our interest. I don’t remember if Roger ever elaborated, but I did find affirmation that traveling is one of the best times to maintain, or even deepen, a personal yoga ...
Comments
I love the video blogs (except they make me homesick). A concept like this makes perfect sense when I see it but I wouldn't really get it if I were reading. Thanks so much.
Blue skies,
Marianne
When I first met you one of the things I noticed was that you have space between your toes when you stand and when you are in yoga poses. I tried it out, but this was never possible for me. Every way I tried to stand with my toes relaxed and a little space between them, it created a lot of tension in my foot. But it looked like it felt very healthy and relaxing when you were standing there.
For me, one of the side benefits of practicing the eye of grounding concept is that my toes naturally spread, creating that relaxed feeling in the front part of my foot.
I also experience an energizing in the foot. I assume there is a meridian there that is affected -- opened / balanced -- by this work.
Whether the yoga practitioner notices them or not, are these two effects common?