The Countdown

In just over one week I'll be a graduate student at the University of Wisconsin. After a 20+ year hiatus, my return to school is imminent.

This past week's meetings and orientation events have alternately been exciting and scary. I find it exciting to be surrounded by other people that are eager to deepen their knowledge and to expand the horizons of the known. And I find it scary to be immersed in a culture that's so amazingly smart, creative and driven. While I know I possess aspects of smart, creative and driven, uncertainty and self-doubt have crept in between the cracks.

Rather than reciting affirmations, I've been trying to lean into the roller-coaster of feelings. (Sometimes with aplomb, and other times even trying to be present with my feelings brings up further feelings of doubt!) Despite riding this internal roller coaster, I can hardly wait to be challenged intellectually and creatively in the coming years.

Among the many horizons that will likely expand, I'm excited to be a Teaching Assistant in an undergraduate anatomy course. While I have been teaching anatomy to yoga practitioners and teachers for many years, my focus has primarily been teaching skeletal and muscular anatomy. In this upper-level anatomy course, my focus will need to expand considerably.

I am confident this larger perspective on anatomy will soon be felt in the Yoga and Pilates classes that I teach. How about if you let me know if your experience in my classes perceptibly changes in the coming months?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You have lots of... things

Sweets and Your Mitochondria

Worklife Bardo