Supports for Change

I wonder if the chrysalis has a sense of its prior worm nature, or of its future butterfly nature? Whatever consciousness may or may not look like in other sentient beings, I experience a sense of past-me, hopes for future-me and the essential, embodied, present-case me. While the latter is often in short supply, years of meditation have at least introduced the possibility of an embodied present.

Where am I going with all this? As I mentioned in my prior posting, I'm in the midst of a midlife reboot. And a significant part of this reboot involves my graduate studies at the University of Wisconsin - Madison.
A cup of espresso seemed the perfect way to celebrate
a successful thesis proposal.

A couple of months ago I cleared one of my first graduate-school hurdles. In front of my thesis committee, I successfully made the case that my proposed project meets the Masters degree standards at the UW - Madison. Now, before any back-slapping and high-fiving occurs, I think it bears mentioning that one of the primary functions of the thesis proposal is providing a venue for feedback. While I did receive lots of encouragement and positive feedback, in no uncertain terms I was shown the significant errors in my understanding of the proposed data analysis. Without this feedback, I would have barreled along the Avidya (not-knowing-what-I-don't-know) Highway on a fast track to God knows where. Thanks to the kindness and directness of my MS committee members, I am now able to course correct.

I mention this aspect of my MS thesis proposal as an example of the growth edge of positive (or negative) change. Stasis can be a comfortable place, and I'd grown very comfortable as Scott Anderson, the Yoga Guy. As I reboot in grad school, I periodically bump into some uncomfortable places. No doubt, I sometimes have doubts... though I generally remember (sometimes it takes awhile!) to recognize the embodied present. In those moments, the constriction of worrying about past-me and/or future-me opens into the spaciousness of the embodied present.

Via meditation, recognizing the embodied present is one of my primary strategies for navigating this life. As I wade through the grad school process, I employ five primary strategies to maintain well-being;

  • Meditation
  • A Whole-Foods/Plant-Based diet
  • Sufficient Sleep
  • Physical Activity
  • Social Connection
I've grateful to have encountered these paths, and delight in sharing them with others.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You have lots of... things

Sweets and Your Mitochondria

Worklife Bardo