Calculated Risk

Some people have a lot of choices in their lives; what to eat, how to rest, what (if any) type of physical activity to pursue, etc. While not everybody enjoys the luxury of this much choice, a goodly number of people do. Within the possibilities afforded by all these choices, there is little that is assured. Given the available information, we are left with conflicting reports on outcomes. As a result, our choices almost inevitably take on a degree of risk.

Giving fear a voice: Thoughts on risk-taking
Hope for the best.

I often work with people who are holding off on making lifestyle changes until they have all the accurate information. While I laud personal research and collecting a wealth of information, I don't believe we'll fully know many of the answers that we're seeking within our lifetime. Do we wait until we know, or make the best decision that we can with the available information? As you can probably surmise from this lead-in, I'm of the belief that making the best decisions with the available information is the ticket.

In the coming weeks, I'll explore some of the calculated risks that I'm knowingly exploring. Among the examples are diet; while each dietary camp tends to present information as entirely and wholly complete and explanatory, much remains unknown about long-term outcomes related to specific dietary choices. Relatedly, I'll discuss my choices in exercise. Should you do high-intensity cardiovascular training, lower-intensity or just make sure you move around a bit each day? Each camp has evidence and advice, and it's up to the individual (you and me) to make our own decisions.

Many of the world's spiritual traditions remind us that we have less control over events and outcomes than we may hope that we have. Various traditions may instruct adherents to pray, meditate or do rituals to effect outcomes, though rarely does traditional wisdom suggest that this ritual will assuredly impact next week's (or next year's) outcome. In my own life, I approach my choices as a way to reduce the risk of outcomes that I consider bad. Everything I do, as I view it, contains a degree of calculated risk. My choices cannot release me from the possibility of an unintended consequence. That being said, I do work to reduce my risk of negative outcomes by making the best decisions with the available information.

In the coming weeks, I'll share more about my views on physical activity, diet and other health and wellbeing related choices.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You have lots of... things

Sweets and Your Mitochondria

Worklife Bardo