Calculated Risk - Cardiovascular Fitness

In my previous posting, I explored some of the choices I've made with regards to strength training. Every system has its tradeoffs, and each of us is left to decide what tradeoffs (risks) are acceptable, and which are not. I've landed on working out 2-4x per week on the Pilates equipment, supplemented with some dumbbell and bodyweight exercises. After weighing the available information and feeling how things land in my body, I'm of the opinion that this combo satisfies my desire to maintain (and hopefully build) muscle mass... done within the frame of mindfulness that I came to appreciate through my years of Yoga practice.

In training cardiovascular (aerobic) fitness, there are various options. Some trainers advocate a primary focus on lower-intensity work done for longer periods of time, while other trainers are partial to high-intensity intervals, done for shorter periods of time. Each camp cites evidence supporting their approach, and claim many adherents who are more than happy to post testimonials. (This is the only program that has ever worked for me, or something along those lines.)

At the end of the day, I think both camps are correct. Some lower-intensity training helps build certain aerobic capacities, while some high-intensity training builds other aerobic capacities. Both have their place, and it's up to the individual to decide the relative proportion of each to include in their weekly routine.

On this day, snowshoeing would have been
a better choice.
In terms of maximal time-efficiency, I think the evidence points to higher-intensity intervals. It's said that the first sub 4-minute miler, Roger Bannister, trained for less than 1/2-hour per day in order to be the first person breaking through the then-mythic 4-minute barrier. As a busy medical student, Bannister didn't have the time for the long, slow distance (LSD) training of his era, and chose to work out very intensely for comparatively short periods of time. The evidence was and is pretty strong - high-intensity aerobic training can be very effective for increasing VO2max (aerobic capacity).

Right about now, you may be thinking that this blog posting is turning out to be quite boring; that I'll advocate that everyone should work out aerobically in short, intense bursts, and that's that. For better or worse, however, I have chosen another path. Here's why:

I love how I feel when I work out at a higher percentage of my capacity. My mind feels incredibly clear, and I love the feeling of my body working near its capacity. These are exhilarating workouts, and I can still fondly recall some intense workouts from 30+ years ago. Unfortunately, I've also found that the exhilaration of an intense workout on one day feeds forward into elevated anxiety 2-3 days later. This elevated anxiety is OK in moderation, though too much exhilaration can be... too much.

Thankfully my meditation practice provides me the tools to work with elevated anxiety. As my teacher, Mingyur Rinpoche, often teaches; making friends with his childhood panic attacks was among his greatest teachers. Working with my own tendency toward anxiety has likewise been a great teacher of life-lessons. This being said, sometimes life provides enough anxiety life-lessons, and adding more fuel to the anxiety-fire is too much.

OK - how does this inform my approach to aerobic fitness? I periodize my training in phase with the stresses of my life. During the academic year, when stress tends to be higher, most of my workouts are of the longer, lower-intensity type. These workouts have plenty of benefit for my overall health, even if they are not maximally time-efficient in developing peak VO2max. In particular, I cherish the time I spend in Blue Mound State Park, huffing along at 60-70% of my capacity on skis, snowshoes or foot. These nature fixes, in tandem with lower-intensity cardio, help me feel more resilient in the face of the stresses of the academic year.

When life is more spacious, such as during Winter or Summer break, I'm more likely to blow out the proverbial cobwebs with some high-intensity interval training. I've found that I feel great, and know that this training is very effective in improving aerobic capacity. Yes, I experience heightened anxiety 2-3 days after said workout, though I can observe how anxiety feels in my mind and body, and use the felt experience of anxiety as support for my meditation. I am of the opinion that periodically spiking my anxiety has given me additional tools to feel more resilient.

In the interest in building greater resilience in body and mind, both higher intensity and lower intensity aerobic training have a place in my workout regimen. Most of my workouts are of lower-intensity, and when life feels more spacious, I enjoy keeping things fresh with some higher-intensity cardio. How about for you - what have you found works for you?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You have lots of... things

Worklife Bardo

Sweets and Your Mitochondria