Longer Runs

Since shuttering Mound Street Yoga Center, I've enjoyed stretches of time that I haven't experienced in decades. For example, I now have Saturday mornings wide open in my calendar. While I deeply miss the community that came together most Saturday mornings for Yoga, I am thrilled to have this new-found time in my schedule.

Messy Kitchen Counters
This counter was once clear.
As nature is said to abhor a vacuum, the grad-student life almost inevitably engulfs any unscheduled time. To help prevent calendar-encroaching, I protected my Saturday mornings by plugging in long runs.

At first the long runs were about ten miles in length. Thanks to the aerobic base that I've been building since 2014, these long runs are now more commonly fifteen to twenty miles long. This distance-creep is not accidental - I'm training for my first marathon!

Later this month, I plan to run the Driftless 50 trail marathon. This debut performance will most likely not be the prettiest showing, as this trail marathon (and many others) seems to go up and down almost as much as it stretches 26+ miles to the horizon. Even with my long-haul approach to training, it remains to be seen whether I can actually finish this full trail marathon under its cut-off time.

To increase the odds that I actually finish this marathon in the allotted time, I've been working with a running coach. My training plan includes long miles (building time on feet capacity), along with interval training at lactate threshold. Both pathways pose unique joys and challenges in the realms of body and mind.
I'm not sure why I made the front page of the Wisconsin State Journal.
(9/11/19)
Through running, I've had the chance to directly experience the teachings of my beloved teachers while trotting through the wooded trails of Blue Mound State Park. There have been moments of vividly recognizing mind, periods of boredom, flashes of inspiration and ample opportunity to use body sensations as the object of meditation. Meditation and running have become inseparable.

This next-chapter of body/mind training has been richly nourishing, and I hope that I have the opportunity to enjoy running for many years to come. In the meantime, I'll let you all know how the marathon goes. Two weeks and counting...




Comments

Scott said…
I finished! Not pretty, though satisfying.
royxmom said…
Congrats! I love how upright you are in the State Journal photo. I have been trying to get my running back after foot issues and working with yoga and PT, you are still inspiring. You probably don't recall a paper I wrote for AI teacher training 7 years ago, but I wrote of the meditative properties of cycling. I love the unification of fully engaged body and totally open mind. Thanks for blogging!

Sam
Kate said…
Thanks for chasing your goals Scott. I’m hoping with more and more commitment to a whole food plant based diet, I can leave the inflammation behind and chase my running dreams too. I assume you have read Scott Jurek’s books. They are both great!
Kate Remme

Popular posts from this blog

You have lots of... things

Sweets and Your Mitochondria

Worklife Bardo