A Neuroscientist, Athletic Trainer and Physician Walk into a BAR

 A neuroscientist, athletic trainer and physician walk into a bar…

Walking into a bar matches better with an old-school joke, doesn’t it? I started a recent post with walking into a room, which is about as interesting an opening line as many of our COVID-era days, isn’t it?

Anyway, bar, room or what have you – my dissertation path took an interesting turn last week. At the outset, the plan was that each committee member – the neuroscientist, athletic trainer and physician – would give me a reading list of the materials I’d need to know for my preliminary exam. (if you didn’t read an earlier blog posting – the preliminary exam is the gatekeeper for continued progress toward a Ph.D.)

Of the three committee members, one committed to getting me his reading list by the end of the week. I’ll be meeting with another committee member next week to review his reading list. And last week I met with the third committee member, which didn’t quite go as-planned. Not in a bad way. In fact, probably for the better.

In lieu of immediately handing me a reading list, this committee member reflected on my academic interests and proposed research. After reflecting for a while, he kicked the inquiry back to me. In essence, he told me to initiate the process of sifting and winnowing (his words, not mine) by creating the reading list. Upon creation of the proposed reading list, this committee member would give it the thumbs-up or thumbs-down.


As was accurately predicted, this has been an effective pedagogical turn. Rather than passively receiving a list of materials to learn backwards and forwards and inside out, I’ve been forced to deeply contemplate what I need to know to execute my research (the purpose of preliminary exams). In addition to the self-reflection embedded within this endeavor, building my own reading list forced me to review the extant literature more critically than I otherwise would have. In the end, this turn of events has added depth to what may otherwise seem like a pretty odious box to check.

With one addition to my first-pass list, I’ve received the thumbs-up. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have some contemplative neuroscience to study!

Comments

Unknown said…
Listening to a recent podcast from "good life project" the guest was Mark Nepo who stated "I write what I need to know. If I wrote what I know, it would be a lot less writing" Well, that was the essence of it anyway. Enjoy your exploration!

Popular posts from this blog

You have lots of... things

Sweets and Your Mitochondria

Worklife Bardo