Start a job? Or start a business?

As an undergraduate, I liked the idea of studying Physics far more than I enjoyed the study of Physics. The seemingly mystical aspects of Physics drew me into its study, though the reality of undergraduate Physics coursework involved solving complex equations using increasingly sophisticated mathematical techniques. While I did not pursue further study in Physics, I fondly remember the many study sessions with members of my cohort.

In one study session, JH predicted that I’d find a career where wearing nothing but my underwear would be acceptable. We all laughed, as I was known for an almost unflinching commitment to wearing shorts and T-shirts independent of social and climactic conditions. The other members of our study group went on to respectable careers as professors, engineers and software developers... and shortly after this conversation, I embarked upon a 30+ year career teaching Yoga. JH’s prediction proved to be quite insightful. While others marched to the beat of a different drummer, I seem to have marched to the beat of a different accordion.

In the late-80s, the popular yoga shorts were sometimes
known as yoga diapers or yoga underwear.

Despite enjoying a modicum of success and a great deal of independence in my work life, I always romanticized having a state job. In the state job of my imagination, every weekend is unstructured, workdays end at 4:59pm and each year contains weeks of paid vacation. So when a teaching job at the University of Wisconsin – Madison appeared on my professional horizon, I eagerly pursued its promise. As graduation neared, I formulated plans on how I’d spend my evenings, weekends and Summers (9-month appointment!) For better or worse, however, this particular state job proved to be a mirage, and last Summer I found myself asking the big questions about work, life, mission and vision.

In the intervening months, I enjoyed long walks with friends, deep conversations and self-reflection. Ideas were explored, tried on, thrown against the wall… and one theme consistently emerged. Despite the allure of the mythic state job, my interests are largely entrepreneurial. And while I have long craved the simplicity of a predictable schedule, weekends off and a pension, I recently decided to expand the Mindful Cardio program. In the coming months I’ll be sharing more about the vision of the Mindful Cardio online academy. In the meantime, I’m in the final stretch of writing my dissertation, and am on-track earn a Ph.D. in Kinesiology this coming Spring. Stay tuned!


Comments

Anonymous said…
Congratulations on your almost completed dissertation! Look forward to hearing more about Mindful Cardio.
Connie

Popular posts from this blog

You have lots of... things

Sweets and Your Mitochondria

Worklife Bardo