When causes and conditions come together, a result is sure to follow

"When causes and conditions come together, a result is sure to follow" is a line from one of my favorite meditation practices. This line from the Nectar of the Path, composed by Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche, reminds me that all outcomes are the result of many factors, of which many are unseen or unrecognized.

Ph.Done.

Having recently completed a PhD, I've appreciated receiving so many congratulatory messages from friends, family, colleagues, collaborators, students, mentors and so on. It was a long road (7-years), with many twists and turns. Earning this degree took an almost incalculable number of hours, and certainly added more than a few gray hairs to my pate. However, my own hard work and sacrifice were merely the seed that was planted in the soil of conditions. Thankfully, the soil proved to be sufficiently fertile as to support the germination and sprouting of this doctoral vine.

The following text is from the introduction to my doctoral dissertation. While I do not always succeed, I strive to acknowledge when good fortune provides the platform that my labors are built upon. I have had a fortunate roll of the "karmic dice," and hope that this education supports future work that benefits beings.

Many of the conditions that supported this dissertation were put into place through no skill of mine – they arose solely from getting a fortunate roll of the “karmic dice.” As a child I had the good fortune to have been read to regularly, along with the opportunity to attend preschool. Entering kindergarten associating books with stories, and knowing my letters & numbers built the foundation for pursuing an advanced degree. I had further good fortune to attend public schools with relatively small class sizes and many passionate teachers, and the education I received continued building the foundation that an advanced degree is built upon. Through no skill of my own, I had the good fortune to be born into a relatively sturdy body that responds well to long work days, which further facilitated this doctoral work. Along the path to dissertating, a global pandemic threatened to shut down the global economy, including the small business I run with my wife. Thanks to the Payroll Protection Program and local small-business grants, our business weathered the pandemic and I could return to my studies. I could go on and on citing the various fortunate causes and conditions that supported this doctoral work – to that end, I intend to pay it forward by focusing future work on benefiting beings.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You have lots of... things

Sweets and Your Mitochondria

Worklife Bardo