Caring for “higher mileage bodies”

Well into middle-age, I harbored the misguided belief that well-engineered cars could last indefinitely. Toiling under the influence of this delusion, I poured untold tens of thousands of dollars into various old European cars. Thankfully I got past this misconception, and came to appreciate that entropy is an equal opportunity law of Physics, and that higher mileage cars simply take more upkeep than newer cars do. As with cars, so too with the human body.

I once drove a Saab 9000, and it took an astounding sum
of money to keep it running, particularly as it aged.

Overall I’ve taken pretty good care of the body that I inhabit. Certain excesses and impulses aside, I’ve eaten well, stayed active and worked deliberately with my mind. And so far the preliminary results have been encouraging - I enjoy mental and physical health, and the freedom to run, bike and ski not dissimilarly to my youth. This being said, aging (entropy) is very real, and I find that this older body takes more upkeep than its younger version did.

Over the years I explored many modalities of physical upkeep, and found Pilates the most effective modality in supporting healthy alignment, ease of movement, long/lean musculature and mobility. After my decades of yoga practice, I was relieved to find a system that so wholistically checked all the boxes. Even better, the mind/body approach of yoga is deeply embedded within Pilates. Like yoga, Pilates syncs movement  with breath, and the rhythmic movements, particularly when using the unique Pilates equipment, can be deeply relaxing.

In just a few weeks I’ll teach a series of classes titled “Pilates for Old Jocks.” I can hardly wait to share some of the essential things I’ve learned from Pilates - embodied knowledge that I believe supports my ongoing enjoyment of physical activity. I’ve found these fundamentals essential, and I’m confident all you “old jocks” will, too.  No fancy equipment needed - simply bring your body, mind and breath. I hope you can join me - check out PilatesOnHarrison.com for details.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

You have lots of... things

Sweets and Your Mitochondria

Worklife Bardo